Jan 20, 2014

Vampires and werewolves

As I thought about this story idea that's been incubating, it occurred to me that my protagonist might be turning into a vampire. Ok, fine, I've been rolling with the weird things that pop out of my brain for over thirty years now. I can work with this. Then I realized that werewolves might be showing up as well, and I was a little disappointed. C'mon, brain, you're more original than that!

That got me thinking, though: what is it about vampires and werewolves that so many creators put them together in stories? I think it's because they contrast each other so nicely. Vampires are monstrous because they aren't alive enough - cold, only able to experience the life force by stealing it from others. Werewolves are monstrous because in a way they're too alive - hot-blooded, primal, and visceral.

Cliche or no, I might just take this and play with it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment