May 7, 2014

Cage on wheels

I was just reading this article which outlines what a liberating vehicle the bicycle was (I highly recommend it). That got me thinking about my story. I'm enjoying thinking about all the dark sides of technology in this world I'm creating, and it occurred to me that the fictional technology in my story could allow the invention of the bicycle to be bypassed, along with its liberating influences.

I haven't explicitly written about it here before, but the current state of technology in my story is based on substances that for now I'm going to call proteoids (I'm still trying to decide if that will be the final name for them, or if it will be something else). One of the applications of proteoids is the construction of highly efficient mechanical devices. Reading the bicycle article gave me an image of a vehicle that can translate the slightest movement of a person's body into motion, but instead of the rider masterfully straddling it like a bicycle, it surrounds the rider like a cage.

Oh, I wish I were better at drawing! The pictures in my head are so creepy!

No comments:

Post a Comment